Road: raiding the spares bin

 



As I work on the race CBR400RR-L NC29; I have accumulated a decent pile of parts that I no longer need. Whilst listing these on eBay to shift them I noticed that some are in better nick than those on my own road going CBR400RR-L NC29.
This did take a a little while to notice in fact but once I did, I rolled the road going bike over to the maintenance garage to swap some bits over.
First to go on was the left and right switch gear which was horribly sun bleached. I checked the better condition replacements worked correctly and gave them a thorough clean up and service before fitting them to the left and right clipons. 
The space for wiring on the NC29 is a bit limited to say the least so I took extra care to take note of where each loom went when I removed the original components.
All of the plugs got a good soaking in electrical cleaner and protector before fitting.
The side stand was another item that looked a bit better on the race bike. The one on the road bike is still subtly bent which makes the bike lean over too far but it is also showing a fair bit of rust which isn't a great look.
I stripped the good side stand down and gave it a clean in the degreaser bath. This was then dried off, greased up and reassembled.
The spring is a pain in the ass to get right but a spring puller helps. Infact; during assembly I actually used the correct thread lock on the side stand sensor bolt. More incidentally than anything but I rarely have the right stuff at the right time normally. It was green if you are interested.

Once assembled, I swapped out the old bent bike leaning device with the aid of an Abba stand and a Ryobi impact gun performing their respective rolls admirably. 
The wiring for the stand is up under the seat which requires a bit of chasing in. I had the tank off already for the switch gear so this was fairly easy. As before I took the time to clean the electrics and gave them a coat of corrosion preventative compound to keep the water out.
While I was here I decided to sort out one of those little niggles the bike has.
The tail fairing sides cross over behind the riders seat where they should butt up against one another. This is a fairly common issue, looks crap and will eventually damage the paint.
I decided to make the same mod to this one as I had the previous yellow fairing and the NSR250 MC28 where I added a metal bracket behind the fairing that could be bolted to to maintain the correct shape. The bracket is aluminium so paint wouldn't be needed and it is quick/easy to work with. I used M5 rivnuts this time rather than nutplates but the result is basically the same.

A good looking machine. Shame the picture represents little of my work today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff that fits the CBR400 NC29 v1.1.2 060120

Race: Other engines for the NC29 chassis?

Race: From road rashed to race bike *In progress 01/09/20*